Wednesday, April 25, 2012

New Year Surprises

*December 31st 2006, New Years, around 1pm*

"Arrival to JFK airport in 10 minutes." came the pilot's voice over the P.A. system.

I looked over to my right to see Chris and James, drummer and bassist of "Nightfall Scare", sleeping.

"Those lazy asses." laughed Lou under his breath.

"Yeah...hand me that empty water bottle."

Lou handed me the bottle and I hit both brothers. Chris jumped up, while James groaned. I shook my head and smacked him again.

"What?" he complained.

"We're landing in 5." replied Lou.

Both of them sat up straight when the seat belt light turned on. We all fastened our belts as we felt the plane start to head towards the ground. Once we landed, we exited the plane and received our luggage. A limo waited for us as we walked outside. We piled into the limo and headed to the hotel.

*A few hours later around 8pm*

Four hours to the year 2007 in NYC is crazy. I've been here once before on New Year's Eve, but not as a performer. We sat in traffic behind another van like ours. Once we came to the walkway to go to the main building where we were going to perform. The four of us exited the van when we realized that the walkway was guarded along the sides because of all the crazy ass fans everywhere. We were going to have to walk through them. I sighed when another group of people got out of the van in front of ours. I didn't really pay attention to them until Lou spoke.

"RAY!" he yelled.

"LOU!" came Ray's voice.

I looked over to see them hugging.

"KATE!" came 2 voices.

I turned to see both Frank and Mikey coming over to me. I smiled at the sight of them when Worm, the bodyguard, came over and told us that we all needed to head to the building quickly. We all agreed and began to walk. The screams grew louder and louder as we passed each section. A group of girls, about Midway down, were wearing red hats, 2007 glasses nd were screaming so loud.

" I want a pair of those!" complained Ray.

"Go and ask them then." laughed Gerard, who after the 4 months I didn't see him, had black hair again.

"Alright I will!" yelled Ray.

He and Lou walked over to the group of girls who were screaming their heads off.

"Stupid Ray..." muttered Frank.

"Oh...c'mon Frankie. He just wants the glasses." I laughed.

He just rolled his eyes and walked ahead of me. Something was wrong with him. I wanted to ask, but I knew I would find out eventually. I continued to walk when I felt two hands, then arms embrace my waist.

"You going to ignore me all night?" Mikey whispered in my ear.

I turned towards him and kissed his lips softly.

"I'll take that as a 'No'?"

I laughed and continued to walk when Ray and Lou caught up with us.

"Hey! I got these off the girl cuz apparently I'm her favorite member and gave them to me." Ray laughed.

"Wow Ray..." said Mikey sarcastically.

He put the glasses on and ran up ahead to walk with Bob. Lou rolled his eyes.

"Where's the twins?" he asked.

"Up ahead..." I replied.

"Thanks..." smiled Lou and ran up to Chris and James.

Mikey sighed and held me close. I looked up at him when we reached the building. We ll entered and walked into the elevator. It was a tight fit, but we got to the top. As we waited, Bob thought it would be funny to get rolls of toilet paper and throw them out the top window. This went on for about 20 minutes until the sound of police sirens grew louder and louder. Bob automatically stopped and went to sit on the couch. He acted as if nothing had happened. I looked at Mikey who just shook his head while trying hard not to laugh.

"Mikey...can I talk for you for a minute?" questioned Gerard.

"Sure..." replied Mikey.

I went and sat next to Bob, as Lou started to practice on his guitar. I reviewed the set list that we were going to play. It went: "This Love", "Decoy", "Shadow", "My Heart" and "Born For This". Not bad for a set list. Mikey returned and sat down next to me. I looked over at him as he just stared blankly at the floor.

"Okay can I have "Nightfall Scare" over here please?" stated the coordinator.

All four of us got up and walked over to him. He stood there with a clipboard and an aggravated look.

"Okay so in about 45 minutes, that will be about 10:15pm, you guys will take the stage right over there on the balcony area."

We all nodded and sat back down. I yawned and put my head onto Mikey's shoulder. I felt his arm around my waist, pull me closer. I felt his chest take a deep sigh as Gerard walked over.

"Mike...group meeting."

Mikey took a deep breath and let go of me to stand. Something was going on with Mikey now? Both Frank and Mikey? Lou came over and sat.

"So what's the deal with Frank and Mike?" he asked.

"No idea. Working on finding out though."

He laughed lightly, when Chris came over with a couple boxes of pizza. James had 2 thirty packs of Pepsi and Coke.

"Wow...enough food?" laughed Lou.

"Well we are going to party responsibly." replied Chris.

"And drink respectively." added James.

I rolled my eyes as they opened the boxes. Frank then walked by and grabbed a slice of cheese.

"Hey! That's ours!" yelled Chris.

"And I can beat the living shit out of you if I want." replied Frank.

"FRANKIE!" I roared.

He shrugged and gave Mikey a glare before he went to sit on the couch. Mikey walked over to me and grabbed a Coke.

"No Coke Zero?" he asked.

"No...they didn't have any." replied James.

Mikey nodded and sighed. I was really starting to worry about him. Frank got up and walked by us with a nice little brush on Mikey's shoulder. Mikey sighed and looked down. That was it.

"FRANK!" I yelled.

He stopped and turned. He had a bit of an aggravated expression.

"What the hell is your problem?" I accused.

"Nothing you should worry about right now." he answered and walked away.

I shook my head when Mikey came up to me and wrapped an arm around me. I quickly denied him and walked into the bathroom. I rubbed my eyes to try and prevent tears. That didn't really work. I looked into the mirror and washed my face. I took a couple of deep breaths and re-applied my eyeliner. I didn't really wear a lot of makeup. I then went to walk out of the bathroom, when I heard Frank's voice followed by Mikey's.

"It's just not right!" yelled Frank.

"You need to calm down and deal with it." replied Mikey.

"She's not ready!" complained Frank.

"I think she is. And I think she can make it work if she puts her mind to it."

"You need to meet her half way with that too. She can't do it on her own."

"I know Frank...why can't you trust me?"

I then walked out of the bathroom, when both of them looked over at me. I looked towards the ground and walked over to Lou, who was practicing next to Ray. Chris and James then joined us when the coordinator called us over to get ready. We all got set up outside when I looked back to the building to see Mikey, Frank and Ray all looking out at us. I then took the Mic when the guys started to play. We started off with the song "This Love", that was originally dedicated to Mikey from the first time we met to now.

"I, I,
I can see it in your eyes
Taste it in our first kiss
Stranger in this lonely town (this lonely town)
Save me from my emptiness (save me)

You took my hand
You told me it would be OK
I trusted you to hold my heart
Now fate is pulling me away, from you

Even if I leave you now
And it breaks my heart
Even if I’m not around
I won’t give in
I can’t give up
On this love

You’ve become a piece of me
Makes me sick to even think
Of mornings waking up alone
Searching for you in my sheets
Don’t fade, away

Even if I leave you now
And it breaks my heart
Even if I’m not around
I won’t give in (won’t give in)
I can’t give up (can’t give up)
On this love

I can’t just close the door
(on this love)
I never felt anything like this before
(like this love)
Tell me the truth no matter what we’re going through
Will you hold on too ’cause

Even if I leave you now
And it breaks my heart
Even if I’m not around
I won’t give in
I can’t give up
On this love

Even if I leave you now (leave you now)
And it breaks my heart
Even if I’m not around (not around)
I won’t give in (won’t give in)
I can’t give up (can’t give up)
I won’t give in (won’t give in)
I can’t give up (can’t give up)
On this love"

That song was probably the most emotional song for me to sing apart from "Shadow" and "My Heart". "My Heart" was the first song I had ever written and it was for Mikey back in 2004. "Shadow" was based on growing up as Frank's little sister. Once we finished all the songs, we walked back inside.

"That was great!" cheered Gerard.

"Thanks. Your turn." I smiled.

He laughed and looked over towards Mikey and Frank who were talking quietly to one another. He turned back towards me.

"Don't worry about them."

"I just want to know what's wrong."

"I'm sure they'll tell you eventually."

"I guess...." I sighed.

He gave me a hug and walked over to talk with Ray and Lou. Maia came up to me. She showed up during my performance with the rest of the girls.

"Boys confuse me..." I complained.

"Join the club." she laughed.

"I just don't get them."

"Yeah...I don't think we ever will."

At that moment, Mikey and Frank both stood up and walked over to us. Maia looked at me as I looked down when Mikey kissed my cheek. I turned away when he sighed and walked over to the balcony with the rest of the band. Maia looked at me and gave me a "Wanna Talk?" look. I shook my head when the sound of music began out on the balcony. I walked over to the window to see the guys performing. Mikey glanced over at me which made me look away and sit on the couch. Once they finished, they walked back into the room. We then had to go back down into the crowd, to another stage, to talk to Damien Fahey, host of TRL on MTV. Both bands, one stage, to do a short interview. We all stood on either side of Damien. James, Chris, Me, Lou, Damien, Gerard, Bob, Mikey, Frank, and Ray. As soon as the interview began, I felt nauseated.

"Okay...so this is the first time for both bands to perform in NYC?"

"Yeah...it's really exciting though." replied Gerard.

"That's good. You guys have officially made history on TRL. Both musically and now well..." Damien looked at Mikey.

"Kate, I have something to confess." he stated.

I looked at him. Finally the truth? He took a deep breath.

"Kate...we've known each other for so long. You've always been there for me when I needed it. Emotionally and uh...physically. So with our love at where it is and the high respect at a good sized peak. I want to know if you want to take it higher, longer, to the next level?"

He slowly got down on one knee, pulled out a small box and opened it. At this point, I began to feel tears rolling down my face. I put my hand over my mouth.

"Will you accept this ring and become my wife?"

I didn't know what to say. I just looked at him in awe.

"Kate...."

"Wha? Yes! Yes, I will be!" I smiled and choked out the words.

He smiled and got off his knee to put the ring onto my finger. We kissed, when Damien spoke again.

"History...MADE!" he yelled.

Mikey and I both smiled and laughed. Frank came over and hugged us both with Gerard. Eventually it became one big group hug. At that point it was 5 minutes to Midnight. We all stood on the stage, waiting to watch the ball drop. Mikey had his arms around my waist. Maia, Krista, Tina and Jen all joined us and stood with their man. Lou, Chris, and James each had their girlfriends. We all began the countdown to 2007. Once the ball dropped, Mikey and I shared our first kiss of the New Year and as a new engaged couple. This was definitely a way to end a great, eventful and crazy year!

No comments:

Post a Comment